Friday, August 3, 2012

ChocoNana Bread: whole wheat, no oil, no sugar added

Went to bed last night thinking that the bananas on the kitchen table were looking a little brown and I needed to use them for something.  Then today I woke up with a chocolate craving, big shocker right? ;)  So I began browsing my recipes looking for something low sugar that uses chocolate and banana, but couldn't find anything and I thought "why not make up my own?"  I have been wanting to try my hand at writing my own baking recipes lately and now is as good a time as any, so here is what I came up with.

Doesn't this look delicious???

ChocoNana Bread

1.75c whole wheat flour
2-3 mashed bananas
.5c cocoa powder
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg
.5tsp salt
1.5tsp baking powder
.5tsp baking soda
.5c applesauce
2 eggs (can sub flaxseed meal and water)

Preheat oven to 375.   

Mix together mashed bananas and applesauce (I did this in my food processor because I don't like banana chunks in my banana read).   

Pour banana applesauce mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer and add in eggs.  Mix well.

In a separate bowl mix together all dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg,  salt, baking powder and baking soda).

Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing as you go.

Pour into greased 9x5 loaf pan (or muffin tins if you prefer).

Bake 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Notes: 
This is not a very sweet bread since the only sweetness comes from the bananas and applesauce.  If you prefer a sweet banana bread you can try adding honey, sugar or even some chocolate chips.  This is a very dense bread because it uses whole wheat flour.  You could probably use whole wheat pastry flour for a lighter bread, I just didn't have any.  Also, if you don't like nutmeg eliminate or reduce the amount as you can taste the nutmeg in the bread.  

So here is how it looked right before I couldn't resist and ate it still steaming from the oven, delicious!!  


 Happy Eating :)


3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...